SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
synrgystyk

I feel guilty just thinking about it -- HELP!

synrgystyk
16 years ago

Brief History: We bought our house in June '06 and haven't done much of anything landscaping-wise. We're on a corner but the lot is small. The house is sort of Victorian in design but, unfortunately, has plain white aluminum siding and no decorative elements.

We have a fairly nice porch with steps leading down to a cement walkway. There are three evergreen bushes (dunno the species -- that plant ID class in my freshman year of college was *several* years ago) in front of the porch. The bushes are at least 4'x4', but are kept trimmed and seem to be very full and healthy.

Problem: I really want to do something with the front and side yards -- add some visual interest, have some color, etc. However, the bushes take up a good portion of the front yard and it'd be hard to really "blend" them into an overall plan -- at least for me. So I'm thinking that removing them would allow me to start with a clean slate and put in some flower beds, smaller flowering bushes, and maybe even a brick/paver/something path. I'd also like to draw attention to our nice porch and have some planned decorative elements be more visible.

But I feel really guilty thinking about removing healthy, attractive bushes just because they're inconveniently obtrusive. (Yes, this carries over to other areas of my life -- just take a look at my attic. LOL)

So please help me rationalize my planned destruction of greenery. Logic isn't helping much ... and I'm not even Catholic!

Lorree

Comments (18)