SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

Front yard not quite blank slate

Saypoint zone 6 CT
15 years ago

OK, I'll try my latest design dilemma, or one of them. I know how much everyone likes a blank slate. This is the front of my house, where we took out three very large trees last fall (6+ cords without the trunks). There are still some large trees off to the sides and behind the house, and I'm getting tired of doing leaves for weeks every year, so I'm not sure I want to go with the traditional planting of large street trees that have been suggested by an LD, specifically either Bradford Pear or Red Maple, I forget the cultivar. When I lived in NC, BPs fell by the dozen in my area every winter, something that CT folks seem to be unaware of? Or is it not a problem where it snows instead of freezes over? I also kind of like the way the removal of the huge trees opened up the view of the house from the street and brightened the area (house faces almost due North).

Anyway, as soon as our new water line is put in this week, we'll be regrading and planting the lawn and thinking about what else to do out there. The foundation plantings are formal looking and easy to care for, so they can stay: Yew, arborvitae, Japanese Holly, Euonymus, and a couple of perennials I've added since, Iberis, Monkshood, and a named Tradescantia.

Front:

{{gwi:49908}}

Angled shot to show part of side yard, it continues on a bit further to the right for about another 75 ft. all wooded. The small trees in the strip are gone, the town has a local landscape/nursery co. planting street trees, and they showed up with these two before we even cleaned up the firewood. They told me they were Red Maples, but they were Norways! I called the town and they took them out.

{{gwi:49909}}

The foundation plantings about 4 years ago:

{{gwi:49910}}

I was thinking smaller ornamental trees off to the sides, with some mixed shrubs to help transition from the tall trees to the lawn, leaving an open lawn in the center. Any thoughts?

Comments (16)