SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jugglerguy

Groundcovers around fire pit

jugglerguy
13 years ago

I'm in the process of building a fire pit with a patio and a retaining wall. If you'd like to see pictures of my progress over the summer, I posted lots of pictures on the Gardening with Stone forum. I'm going to attempt to post a link to the forum below:

Firepit Pictures

I'm just finishing up getting all the topsoil in so I can start planting. Here's the basic layout.

{{gwi:49896}}

{{gwi:49897}}

I've already purchased some shrubs and small trees. I'm planning on planting groundcovers around the shrubs both above and below the retaining wall. I want to keep this area relatively easy to maintain and I think a small number of groundcovers will help with that. I've decided on Geranium Macrorrhizum, Vinca minor, and Japanese painted ferns as the only three plants I'll use (other than the trees and shrubs).

{{gwi:49898}}
{{gwi:49899}}

I'm not sure how to do mass plantings of these three plants. I was thinking about alternating about five feet of vinca and three feet of geranium below the wall with a few ferns growing out of the vinca. I'm afraid it's going to look too formal or organized though. I'm trying to make it look like it fits into the woods without actually being just natural woods. Is there a better way to make this look good?

Thanks.

Comments (10)