SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_wagner1053

Crushed rock over broken concrete for fire pit area?

Jan W.
2 years ago

Hi! I live on a former working farm, now hobby farm. There are a million things to repair so I have to pick and choose my battles with money pretty carefully. We lost an out building (maybe 20x20?) in a tornado several years back but the 1910 concrete pad foundation is still in place. It's somewhat level, but badly broken and crumbling. It's in the perfect spot on a corner of the property for a seating/fire pit area. Putting an corner arbor and plantings to cover part of the seating along a portion of two sides of it would also block an unattractive view of another property. I priced having the foundation removed and hauled off and nearly died--it was a fortune. I'm trying to come up with an affordable solution (maybe $1-2k or so, hopefully less?) to cover the pad. I'm looking at either pouring an external concrete frame around the patio high enough to hold in crusher run, etc. and then filling in. Will several inches of packed crusher run stay in place on a concrete pad that just gets foot traffic? I could also frame in the area with railroad ties but I haven't priced them. Any ideas? Once I have a stable base, I could build a fire pit at one end and the arbor at the other. What would be the most affordable way to approach this project? Also waiting until this fall/next year for materials to go down in price.

Comments (5)