SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Opinions on putting chicken coop at end of garden

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I thought since we already had T posts (and put up deer netting in spring) around our house garden, that it might make a good place for a chicken run (permanently replace deer netting with wire) during the off season.

I would place the coop on the end where I have some concrete blocks planted with oregano and a small bed (not fenced) where I put dill last year - obviously the oregano would be transplanted, the soil moved and dill planted somewhere else. My plan was to place the coop with the doors facing the garden fence (so would have to cut a new door in the south end before we got chickens) so that the nest boxes were opposite the fence, facing the woods, and we could get at them all year.

During the fall/winter, I would let the chickens into the fenced garden area through the existing door on the coop (put in a gate that swings in, and attach the wire to sides of coop). Early in spring, I would close that side off, and let them out the new side door into the back yard, possibly using push-in fence posts and netting to confine them to a different area each day or so, and keep them safe from predators.

What do you think?

Comments (20)