SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

A Lesson In Proper Watering Techniques

jodik_gw
14 years ago

This is more of a "what NOT to do when watering" type of lesson, and I'm sharing it so everyone can see just how much moisture really does remain around the root ball.

These are Amaryllis Belladonna bulbs. There were 3 planted in a clay pot, using a medium I thought was rather gritty. I successfully killed one of the bulbs by over watering. While the top couple of inches of medium felt dry, it's now apparent that there was still plenty of moisture left around the root area.

These are the two surviving bulbs... I've already pulled the rotted bulb from the pot...

{{gwi:56891}}

Here's a look at the rotted bulb...

{{gwi:56892}}

This tiny mushroom that was growing on the soil surface should have told me something...

{{gwi:56893}}

Here are the two surviving bulbs... they've been cleaned up, dusted with Captan, and re-potted into Al's Mix...

{{gwi:56894}}

Here are more clues to what was happening down in the soil... mold and fungus on the pot bottom...

{{gwi:56895}}

And more in the saucer...

{{gwi:56895}}

I haven't uploaded the rest of the photos yet, but I've got the two remaining bulbs potted in a new pot with a much better medium. Hopefully, they will settle in and grow new roots.

Proper watering is so important... and many times, what we think is a dry pot can have plenty of moisture left around the root zone. It pays to really check carefully before watering!

Take clues from the soil behavior... molds and fungi tell a story of too much moisture being retained.

I've learned my lesson! I have to take more care and more time to properly check the medium for moisture. It's better to err on the dry side if you're not certain... especially when it comes to certain plant types. Bulbs can certainly take a bit of dryness.

I hope my error can help someone who's not exactly sure about when to water... careful checking will tell you.

Happy Gardening!

Comments (14)