SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

Before you sign that purchase offer

nandina
13 years ago

And yet another one! They just keep coming! Post after post. "We have just bought a house and have the following problem. Please solve it for us and, oh yes, we are on a strict budget, want the design to be entirely maintenance free, etc. etc." When I click on the pictures provided I wonder why in heck they bought into nightmare problems such as steep unmowable hills, erosion problems, severe drainage problems, flooding? I also wonder if many about to purchase a house/property take the time to study the surrounds looking for problems or think about the cost of repairs and landscape changes?

The house you intend to buy may have granite counter tops but it may also have some outside secrets that you do not have the ability or dollars to correct. Hopefully as a potential buyer you will pay more attention to the yard. Or if buying in a HOA situation read the landscape rules carefully before buying. It is possible to present a purchase offer with some conditions such as your desire to meet with a landscape architect on a problem(s) you note for advice on the fix and cost before completing the deal.

The maxim is...Buyer Beware. May I add...Buyer, know yourself and your limitations. Do your homework both inside and outside before making a house purchase.

Comments (8)