SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Is there anything deer won't eat?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Setting up a high tunnel, just got huge pile of aged manure moved to center of area so that I can shovel it into beds after we get the baseboards all put together.

Have a patch on the ground where it's been sitting a couple of years, a few inches deep, it's off to the east side of the leveled pad, grassy area to east, woods still farther east so won't get a lot of AM sun, tunnel is good 12-13 ft away (we're putting up one this year and then in the future might need to bring a little more fill in to level the area more and put side-by-side or make into a multibay tunnel) so will get *some* afternoon sun.

Manure tested last year as "soil" with lots of OM, pH 6.2, Medium nitrate N, Low ammonium N, Very High everything else. Was covered with landscape fabric and only had a few weeds around the edges.

I don't want to fence this area, but thought as long as the residue of the pile was there, I might as well throw seeds or transplants in it. Tomatoes and peppers are going in the tunnel.

Any ideas on what to plant in that spot rather than just let the grass/weeds take it over? Maybe squash, pumpkins? Want something low, something the deer (and other critters) won't destroy.

Comments (11)