SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vrkelley

Salvaging Bad Wicking on Shallow Rectangles

vrkelley
15 years ago

How can I fix these two botched wicking indoor rectangles? Ideally, each box should have one water source, but the point furthest from the container seems bone dry so I have to water from the top.

ItÂs probably too late to fix the soil so what can I do to add wicks after the fact now that the plants are about 1" tall???

Also for the future, what's the best wicking configuration for shallow large rectangles???

=======================BOX 1 =======================

Box 1: 35"Long X 15" Wide X 6" Deep (Sweater box)

Wick 1: Cotton shoe string that waters the middle of the box (leads directly to the water source)

Wick 2 :Wool shoe string that waters back of the box (leads directly to the water source)

Both wicks meet up at the back of the box and lead up to a 2 Qt container for water

Soil: 2 parts sterilized rich yard dirt, 1 part Miracle Grow Potting soil, 1 part Perlite

=======================BOX 2 =======================

Box 2: 16"Long X 11" Wide X 6" Deep (ESB beer case)

Wick 1" Nylon cord that runs straight along the all of the sides about 3" from bottom of the soil

Wick 2: Nylon cord that runs as a serpentine (long loops about 2.5" apart) across the bottom

Both wicks meet up at the back of the box and lead up to a 2 Qt container for water

Soil: : 2 parts top soil mix, 1 part Miracle Grow Potting soil, 1 Perlite

Comments (2)