SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okmoreh

New house - need help

OKMoreh
16 years ago

I've moved into a house with an odd situation. It's on a very narrow lot and the house is, in effect, rotated 90 degrees so that the front door and living room windows face the side, not the street. The photo below was taken from an angle, so to be clear, the garage doors face the street (to the east) and the front door and living room windows face south.

{{gwi:48097}}

I have two landscaping concerns right now.

(1) I don't care for the line of ball evergreens along each edge of the property (they're on both sides, running from the street back to the house on one side and to the back of the lot on the other. Neighbors told me that the former owner, when she was still able, pruned them constantly, and I don't want to do that. Also, some of them are not thriving and it is a nuisance to mow and trim around all of them.

The basic style of the house is early mid-century modern and I want the landscaping to complement that, but be easier to maintain.

(2) Because neither the front door nor the kitchen door faces the street, visitors don't know which is which. (For example, Fedex sometimes leaves packages at the front door, sometimes at the kitchen door.) There are paved paths from the driveway curving around the garage to both doors. I would like the landscaping to direct visitors to the front door, but I don't want to remove or obstruct the path to the back door.

Comments (12)