SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Why does the 'boring' stuff always have to come first?

peachymomo
13 years ago

I want to plant roses and grapes, but there are so many other necessary things that need to be done first.

My plan is for the front yard to be my 'secret garden' inspired rose and flower garden. I'm inspired to do a secret garden because the space is already closed in on 4 sides and very private, plus I've wanted my own secret garden ever since I read the book as a child. But before I can plant a single rose several things need to be done first - a large Liquidamber tree and all of it's surface roots need to be removed. Then the hardscaping needs to be installed, we want to have a small patio, some paths, and stone beds. Then the spot needs to be prepared for the fountain and electricity needs to be run in, and as long as we're doing electricity I figure we should do the lighting. And then the irrigation needs to be installed, and finally after all that I will be able to plant my flowers.

The really depressing thing is I won't be able to do anything in the front yard until the backyard is done, and it needs even more work. We need privacy screening to block out views of the neighbors, a new shed in a better place, remove the old shed, remove the weird roof extension and install a pergola for shade instead, build an arbor for grapes and kiwis, install a large stone patio, and finally plant the 'meadow' in the back for the dogs to play in. The back needs to be done first because I don't want dogs in the front during and after the install of my flower garden.

My rational brain knows that this is the correct order and everything will work better if done this way. But my inner rose addict wants to plant lots of roses right now. So I'm trying to have the best of both worlds by planting my roses in large pots while I wait for the 'boring' projects to be completed first. I wonder how many years it will be before I have my secret rose garden...

Comments (6)