SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

gardening 'methods'

User
10 years ago

OK, I apologise because I don't hang around here much although I do grow heaps of veggies and fruit but anyway...... Reading another post, the term 'Mittleider Method' popped up. Because I am curious, I looked it up and promptly almost fell asleep reading the many rules and regulations. And, in fact, it occurs to me that almost anything to do with methods (or similar terminology) just fails to gain much traction because what I mainly just want to do is romp about amongst the flowers, growing some nice things to eat, ignoring all the parts of the plot which start to look a bit rough (this is a seasonal cycle and is fairly predictable) and mostly develop a selective vision where I can rest my eyes on something lovely at least every day. Of course, I would like to be an even better gardener but obviously, I have some prejudice about 'methods' which sound more like hard work - yes, even the so-called no-work ones. Lasagne gardening (gah), no-dig (yeah, right!)
So, what do you think? Am I seriously missing a trick? Does anyone here have a method or style or even a self-defined title other than just gardener (organic, biodynamic, permie, hydroponic, tropical, greenhouse etc.etc.) Do you pick and choose between theories? Or vaguely hope and try to keep your eyes open (unfortunately, mine are often looking in the wrong direction). Do you follow timetables and calendars? Or, like myself, have the attention span of a gnat and standards low enough to delight rather than mortify?
Confession - I believe I was exposed to a biodynamic handbook at a formative stage of my development and was deeply traumatised. Quite apart from the insane amount of organisation involved, all that cowhorn and magic potions stuff did my head in. But, to be fair, I had the same problems at horticultural college, trying to get my brain to memorise chemical terms, nitrogen cycles, electron stages, bacteria and fungi names...... blah blah - I spent a lot of time skiving, in the greenhouses or wandering about the grounds.

Comments (24)