SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

My backyard is my frontyard! - Pictures

sergeantcuff
16 years ago

I have a tricky problem and was hoping that someone here could send me in the right direction. I've been studying several books but have trouble adapting the guidelines to my situation.

My house is on a hill, so I share a driveway that ends up in my flat backyard. In warm weather, we spend most of our time on a screened front porch and I have landscaped that area appropriately. Yet this is the area that we walk through everday.

There are 3 beds with 2 paths - I want to have 2 beds with 1 wide path. Now, it's mostly roses and cottage-garden type perennials - Looks glorious in June! only June.

I realize I need structure and winter interest but am having trouble with the design as these are free-formed beds and people will walk all around them. It seems much easier to arrange things when it is viewed from one side only - backed by fence or hedge. This area is about 43 x 43, path will be about 24 feet long. I am taking that maple down on the left. I want to keep a path running alongside house to access side of house.

The structural plants I am interested in:

a small tree - dogwood, amelanchier

Hamamelis - I just want one

Spirea - I want to move/use the one that is now in the middle

Ilex verticillata - winter interest

Thuja occidentalis "danica - Evergreen and I like how it looks like a big brain

Others like sambucus, itea ,callicarpa

Perennials I have that hold a nice shape: anemone, phlox, platycodon, phlomis, peonies, grasses

From driveway:

{{gwi:47796}}

Right side:

{{gwi:47797}}

Left side:

{{gwi:47798}}

View from right closer to house:

{{gwi:47799}}

Thank you

Maureen

Comments (3)

Sponsored