SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jey_l

Raised beds in front yard.

jey_l
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who bought a home in VT and wants to put a "formal garden" in the front yard and asked me to design the structures for her. It is Victorian era Italianate with fairly simple details. The house sets back from the road on a busy intersection and the design is fairly simple and although I think the pergolas are a bit much it is what she wants.

She has hired a landscaper to do the work and they have already done a good job in the back of the house but they have come to an impasse for the front. The landscaper is saying they do not want to install the raised beds or pergola's in the front yard which faces SE and is really the only place she has for her gardens. Many of the plantings already exist as she has dragged most of them around with her throughout her life but are too hard for her to keep up as they blend into the "lawn" and now most of them have been dug up and are haphazardly stuck in a mound of dirt and she wants to get this done before the snow falls. Part of the reason for the design is that she is trying to solve some water problems and reduce the amount of lawn, which is straggly and sporadic, that needs to be mowed.

The raised beds, pergola and retaining walls are all white concrete and match the white marble foundation of the home but the landscaper who has already received a substantial deposit to do the work is refusing to install the raised beds because a landscape designer is telling them it is not "correct" for the front of the house.

I have searched the net looking for something similar and have found nothing myself but can anyone direct me to some images and literature of "normal" homes with formal Italian style gardens in the front .

Does a home need to be a mansion on sprawling property to have a formal garden in the front? Personally, I don't think it is any business of the landscaper but she needs to resolve this quickly and for whatever reason she feels compelled to show them there is nothing improper about it before she has to take them to court.

Thanks

Jey

Comments (9)