SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asm198

Suggestions for the front of my house

Hello! I need some help and suggestions on what to do with the front of my home to make it more appealling. We have done very little to the front of the house since we moved in three years ago, so it's pretty much a blank slate. Also, we have some issues that I'd love to get some solutions for.

Here's a picture of the house when we bought it. It's the best wide shot of the house I currently have.

{{gwi:47415}}

The house came with a wooden fence that was falling apart, so we replaced it. Because there is a slope to our yard, we used some pavers or whatever they are called on one side. I bring this up so that you get a sense of what materials we've used.

{{gwi:47416}}

This picture was taken last fall. There was a large patch of grass in front of those bushes that refused to grow grass. After a bit of investigating, we found that the former owners had put down plastic sheeting under them and topped it with rocks. the sheeting was very close to the surface and the rocks were all over the place. So, we ripped all of that out and finally have grass growing.

We would like to keep the bushes, which are quite a bit bigger and fuller than the picture shows. Also, the tree in the corner doesn't look nearly as bad as the picture shows.

{{gwi:47417}}

This is a wide shot of the area where we need suggestions. We have a very difficult time keeping grass on the sloped area. It's pretty much impossible and is pretty much always bare.

{{gwi:47418}}

This is the area where we'd really like something to happen. Currently, the evergree near the right of the picture has been pulled out. It didn't fit with the other bushes and always looked ratty and kind of dead. It's currently empty.

You can kind of tell in this picture that the bed is actually three beds that are section off and level. The bed closest to the door ends just to the right of the coil of the hose, so each bed is about 3x3 feet.

{{gwi:47419}}

The section with the hose was bare when we bought the house and was just piled with rocks. This is basically what it looks like now. We have added some groundcover here to fill in between the pavers and it looks kind of neat. We didn't add it in the areas close to the house, because we planned to add some plants with height.

{{gwi:47420}}

We have no idea what we can do to make the front of our house more interesting. Some information about the environment. Our house faces north and because of the trees, our yard gets minimal direct sun. In particular, the area close to the house gets almost no sun at all. Maybe 30 minutes a day of dappled sunlight, if that. Also, if we get a heavy rain that the gutters can't handle, plants could get battered.

We'd like something that has color, which is pretty obvious. Everything out there is pretty bland. We're not fussy people, so something fairly easy to take care of would be great. We don't live in a rural area, but we do have a deer population in the fall/winter, so that's also a consideration. The only plants I attempted to plant out there were eaten completely in a matter of weeks. Oh, and we can't paint the house or trim any time soon.

This is a long term project and we don't have a set budget for it. We won't be able to do anything with this area until the spring, but I've been trying to come up with ideas for this area for a year and haven't had any luck. So, any suggestions are welcome.

Comments (8)