SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robce05_gw

Grading question...Newbie, please help

robce05
11 years ago

I would be very grateful for some advice please. I just moved in and want to install a lawn in my backyard. Currently it is a sandbox (nothing there) so I am going to have to amend the soil quite a bit to help with the clay soil and get the ph right. I figured while I�m doing this I should also get the grade right. I asked a friend of a friend in passing who is a retired architect, and he says you must have a 3% slope on all landscaping to prevent pooling (which I definitely do not want), and at least 10 ft of the slope has to be in the direction directly away from the house. I would have no problem blinding following his advice, but there are obstacles that make following his advice a little difficult. So my first question is; is he correct?

If he is, here are my obstacles. The yard is 56 ft long running from south (the back door of my house) to north (the back fence) and 20 ft wide (east to west). Now the bottom of the east fence is 1.5in higher than the bottom of the west fence, excluding the board that the fence sits on which is 7in below the fence. The east fence does not have a fence board (or whatever you call the board that the fence sits on). The neighbors to the east and north have yards that are level with my property line, the western neighbors yard is slightly lower than mine (hence why I believe they put in the fence board). Now what I originally thought of was to have the 3% slope running from the east to the west, but that would be 7 in which would run the water straight into the fence board, which I am worried would rot out the fence board quicker and also pool the water. But I�m thinking that no matter where I put the slope I am going to have that problem (since the water would hit either a dirt wall or fence board) unless I haul in tons of dirt and slope the water to the eastern neighbor which I really would rather not do. I�m also worried that if I did that I would have to put a lot of dirt on my west fence which will be a pain to deal with when having to replace the fence.

So what would people do if in my shoes? I have attached a picture in case that helps. I am facing North and am standing about in the middle of my yard. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and offering your advice.

Comments (4)