SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea345

fencing suggestions

andrea345
16 years ago

Well, the parking situation in our neighborhood became dire this summer. It's only going to get worse (single family lots are now zoned for 4 homes) and this has pushed up the timeline for the backyard re-do we were saving for.

We have an old privacy fence in the back yard. I actually like the way it has aged. The blue is mellow. It has nice moss growing on it, but the old double swinging doors aren't going to work for us to try to pull our cars in to a future car parking area. They're each 6' long and the hinges the people used when they installed were too small. Besides that, this is cedar we're talking about, of course the nails and screws are stripping out of the wood.

Across the alley from our backyard now stands a five story apartment complex complete with tractor trailers making deliveries to the directly across the alley from us. We are being surrounded by multi-story townhomes with inadequate parking (1 car). That is the "why" behind the new lack of onstreet parking and our neighbors selling out left & right to developers is the surprise in the timing.

The future backyard Car Park will be between the katsura on the corner and the camellia tree in the center. I'm not going to move either of those. I'd thought about it, but the camellia's fifty years old. I don't want to risk it in any way. I'm planning on reusing some of the cedar to fill in any gaps between a new mobile fence I want built, but I haven't seen anything which looks like it will work with my current fence. That's what I need help locating or coming up with ideas about. We've got dogs (and a dog run, but still), privacy concerns and an existing fence. We only need to pull the cars in one at a time. There does appear to be an existing concrete something to run something against. But we really only need to have a 6-7' wide opening.

We were hoping to do a professional job, but with this situation arising earlier than our savings account, we want to make an investment we can carry forward into any future work we do.

Thanks for any advice you've got,

-a

Comments (6)