SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Dwarf Lemon w/ nasty-looking infestation on leaves-PICS

ladyamity
15 years ago

Hello everyone!!

My apologies in advance for the length of this post but I wanted to make sure you had all the history.

About 20 years ago we were at a Home Show and saw the cutest little dwarf lemon tree exibit.

We bought a tree, complete with all the brochures to help us keep it healthy.

About five years later we started having problems and took the little tree into our local nursery (nursery is no longer there) and we were told our little drawf lemon was not a dwarf and we were killing it in such a small pot.

It was a good-sized pot, exactly what the brochures recommended.

(The man at the nursery said it wasn't a dwarf but it wasn't a standard-size Lemon tree. I still call it a dwarf out of habit all these years.)

We purchased a larger pot from the nursery, were told what to look for as far as disease, bugs, fungus and if the tree started to look stressed in a couple years we had to go up a planter size.

Sure enough a few years later our tree started to look stressed again so we went up another planter size.

Two years ago, again the tree showing stress, we moved the dwarf (?) lemon tree to a waist-high urn...we drilled lots and lots of drainage holes, planted the tree in the best mixture we could buy adding perilite and sand and the tree gets fertilizer/nutrients/iron. In other words, we've done everything by the books!

The tree thrived and we were so thrilled to see not just buds this past year but actual lemons! All the previous years we got nice-smelling buds/flowers but lemons never materialized. We didn't mind as we love the tree itself.

We picked our first three lemons two weeks ago and they were so wonderful in our ice tea and on our salmon.

While picking the three lemons I noticed two large leaves at the top of the tree that were deformed....didn't think too much of it.

Today I went out for my usual once a month deep inspection of all my plants and *GASP*....there is something on lots of the underside of the leaves of my Dwarf Lemon tree! If the leaf looked deformed I turned it over and sure enough, there was that rusty brown stuff with the clear, shiny film over it...the shiny film glistens when the sun shines on the film.

I've looked all over the internet and can't find a bug that looks like this....does anyone know what could be hurting my dwarf lemon and if so, what are the remedies?

After the last transplant into the large urn, the tree really thrived and I'd hate to lose it now... besides it being a nice cornerstone for my other plants, it has sentimental value.

Thank you for ANY and ALL help/tips/opinions!

Amity

{{gwi:54973}}

{{gwi:54974}}

{{gwi:54975}}

Here is a link that might be useful: More Pics of Tree and Urn

Comments (2)