SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloeasha

Planning for next season: my balcony containers

chloeasha
12 years ago

Hi all! So I'm beginning to come up with some rough plans for next season's balcony. This year I failed pretty badly. many of my plants died. I guess I got out of the container habit and failed them. This year though, I'll be able to start at the beginning of the season instead of during the July heat, and I have more confidence. I have a north-facing recessed balcony with bright but total shade. A sliver of light will pass by the face of my balcony passed the railings for an hour or two at most in the summer, so anything I put to trail down would have a bit of light.

I was considering aucuba in a pot maybe with liriope at the base-- but I am reading conflicting statements about aucuba. I know it will do well in my lighting, but some places list it as fast growing and others as slow. I was also considering using sweet potato "Margarite" to trail off the balcony edge maybe paired with nasturtium and torenia-- but I had a question about the container size. Since the sweet potato actually makes tubers, do I need pots with substantial space? I figured I would go for a 24" pot for the aucuba arrangement unless that's wrong.

I started out in my first apartment with a south-facing balcony. Things were so much easier there as I grew just about everything and had great luck. For some reason I'm more hesitant this time. Growing in-ground made me soft lol.

Comments (14)