SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_n_calif

Need help with potted Italian Buckthorn

sandra_n_calif
14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

In mid October, I bought 6'tall/2'wide beautiful Italian Buckthorn shrubs in 5 gallon pots. I'm sad to say that they are now looking stressed. I probably overwatered them during the first couple weeks before I began reading this forum and gaining some knowledge. The nursery people told me to stick my finger into the soil and if it was dry to water them. Our temperatures here in California have been from 75 to 80 degrees since I bought them and they get sun until about 2:30 each day so the top 2-3 inches were dry quite often. Now I'm using a thin wooden skewer to check for moisture farther down into the roots before watering.

I have transferred them to 7 gallon containers for the winter and plan to re-pot them in gritty mix in the spring.

However, on one plant, even before I potted up, all of the leaves on the top 2 feet of the branches became dry-looking with curling on the edges. On the second shrub, many leaves about half way up the plant have turned yellow. All of the leaves on both shrubs still feel soft rather than dried out. And, only a few of the yellow leaves on the one shrub have fallen off.

My first question - Is there anything I can do to help the shrubs at this point so that the leaves regain some life and stop drying and yellowing? I've read that 1/8 tsp. of Espom salts in a gallon of water [giving the plants just a little of the mixture]might help or spraying the leaves with seaweed nutrient spray. Would this be a good idea at this point?

BTW, when I bought these buckthorn plants, they had, and still have, white spots and spects on the leaves as do a few other plant species at the garden store. To try to describe the appearance, I would say that it looks like they were sprayed with soapy water that dried although I know that's not the case. The nursery workers said that it isn't powdery mildew or anything abnormal, but that "some plants do that." One person said it could be salt from within the plant.

It doesn't come off when I rub it with my fingers, but if I gently scrape my fingernail across the leaf it comes off and the leaf is glossy green underneath these white powdery spects. I haven't put any water on the leaves. The brand new leaves don't have it. Do you have any idea what this might be and what I should do to get rid of it?

Thanks for any help you can give to me.

Sandra

Comment (1)