SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janetpetiole

Fighting with Symmetry

janetpetiole
17 years ago

The front facade of my house is symmetrical. ItÂs a 1-3/4 story cape cod style, with a bumped-out (for lack of a better word) entry. On either side of that are picture windows flanked with double-hung windows that take up most of the wall space. Dormers in the roof add to the symmetry. The symmetry ends on the north side of the house where there is an attached breezway, attached to that is the garage; both are set back from the house.

To me, the house has more of a cottage feel to it, so a formal planting doesn't seem right. Plantings that are more relaxed would seem more appropriate to the style of the house, butÂ

Does symmetry always equal formal?

The urge to make the foundation plantings the same on either side of the entry has been a strong one. When I showed a photo of the house to a LD, he had the same initial urge. (I didn't see his credentials, so I can't speak to abilities, but that is beside the point.) Matching the plants wonÂt work because the house faces east, so the plant in the northeast corner would get more shade than the plant in the southeast corner, therefore, both would grow at different rates.

Twice in the last five years IÂve tried to landscape the front, neither time getting it right. I donÂt know if it was from not having enough weight at the corners, or not having height by the entry, or one of the other mistakes I made.

I think IÂve come up with a plan, but I canÂt bring myself to execute it because although the shrubs will work well when considering the ground space, I'm afraid it will look awkward against the symmetrical facade. IÂm going for a controlled cottage look (if that makes any sense), but I donÂt know if the symmetry will let me.

Comments (11)