SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tedln

Lady Bugs

14 years ago

When I am in my garden, I feel blessed to see all the bugs doing their thing. I have wasps, bees, assassin bugs, and lady bugs. It's hard to find a pest bug. Then I remember that the lady bugs are a blessing during the summer, but a pest come fall.

Some years ago, the USDA started attempting to introduce a non native, Asian lady bug to the US. They were unable to get them to reproduce and start colonies for many years because in their native environment they over wintered in small crevices in cliffs. We don't have many cliffs on most farms. A few years ago, an introduced colony in Georgia over wintered and started to increase. They now are a summer blessing and a fall pest in many areas of the central US. They consume many pest insects (aphids) during the summer, but when the weather starts cooling; they start looking for a cliff. Since no cliffs are available, they settle on the next best thing. It seems our upright homes and buildings with little crevasses are good enough if no cliffs are available. Do a google search for "lady bug invasion". For about two weeks in the fall, my wife carries a broom and dustpan all around the house near doors and windows sweeping them up. They squeeze into the tight areas around doors and windows and then swarm into the house when the door is opened. They also bite pretty aggressively. The USDA claims they do not bite. They say it is simply a skin reaction to a chemical they deposit when they feel threatened. I'm smart enough to know when something bites me and hangs on.

I guess you can call them a blessing and a curse.

Ted

Comments (5)