SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurell_gw

Help me select plants!?

laurell
11 years ago

I'm doing phase 2 of juniper removal and I think I finally have my basic layout figured out but I need some help selecting plants with complimenting textures and colors. Everything needs to be drought tolerant once established and be able to withstand FULLFULLFULL sun. The area gets baked and receives NO shade. It's on a small hill with fine gravely sand if that makes any difference, though we'll be bringing in several yards of compost for amendments.

I have pretty much settled on a Weeping Cedar of Lebanon for my focal point. Additional plants that I intend to use in this area are artemesia, lavender, and rosemary. Colors I'm trying to stick with are grey-green to green (less yellow)for foliage and whites, purples & blues for flowers

Here is what I need as far as plant selection suggestions.

*3-4ft tall evergreen something for screening purposes. Can be columnar (I don't mind putting in a few), but can also be rounded.

*Smallish broadleaf tree - I had either a desert fig or a sweet bay laurel in mind but am open to suggestions

*10ft(ish) tall and wide shrub. I was thinking of a Ceanothus of some sort but am not hard and fast on that.

*Groundcover of some sort, once again was thinking of ceanothus, but I'm not sure

*A few other plants to fill in here & there.

I am looking for a range of texture and color in foliage. A range in bloom color I'm sure will come and really they are secondary for me.

A few other plants that I've seen at local nurseries that I like are:

Allium

Dwarf Alberta Spruce

Silver Beauty Boxleaf Honeysuckle

Dwarf Siberian Spruce

Blueberry Muffin Indian Hawthorn

Weeping Norway Spruce

Weeping Atlas Blue Cedar

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments (7)