SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdiggin

Overcharged Postage....Filed with Postal Inspector....

dirtdiggin
15 years ago

Just wanted to let you all know, I filed a complaint today with the postal inspector and I think that any of you who have paid package pricing for large envelopes should do the same. I'll post my complaint to them below. My next step is the media.

Where to file....

http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MailFraudComplaint.aspx

my complaint.....

This seems to be a nationwide problem. According to postal rates, a large envelope and = or (Large Envelope

Dimension Minimum* Maximum

Height 6-1/8 inches 12 inches

Length 11-1/2 inches 15 inches

Thickness 1/4 inch 3/4 inch

* Large envelopes exceed at least one of these dimensions.

For example, an envelope 10 long x 8 inches high x 1/4 inch thick is considered a large envelope because it exceeds the minimum height dimension.

Large envelopes that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package prices.

For large envelopes, length is the longest dimension.

For larger items, see package prices.)

If I place two stamps (actually paying over by .01) I have no problem placing my large bubble envelope, which is size 000 or 4" x 7" and less than 3/4 of an inch thick, in the mailbox and it gets to its destination.

This is not the case if I take the mailers to the USPS desk and it is happening everywhere. Clerks are purposely charging PACKAGE pricing for large envelope pricing. I have a receipt for 5 envelopes that I mailed on Tuesday. Each one was charged out at $1.17 and when I asked the clerk why the difference, I was informed that bubble mailers don't qualify for large envelope pricing. Interesting, they are not rigid, they are only 1/4 inch thick and they certainly don't go beyond the size requirements. When I explained the guidelines to the clerk, that are stated on the USPS website, she looked puzzled and told me she would have to check with her boss, who wasn't in. So I was overcharged on these 5 packages. I am in contact with folks all over the nation that this very same thing is happening to. So how much overcharging do you think is actually going on? How many million packages do you think are being charged an extra $.34 across the nation? An investigation may be interesting eh?

Comments (20)

Sponsored