SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ju1234_gw

WANTED: Eggplant, bell pepper, tomato, can they be perennial?

11 years ago

I live in Dallas, TX (8a). This is first year I have had good summer garden and have some Eggplants, bell peppers and tomato plants. I was wondering if they survived through winter, will they fruit next year again?

Here we get few light (one night long) freezes, occasionally several days long hard freeze. I know that eventhe hardy plants don't make it thorugh those hard freezes but what can i do to have these plants survive in their original planted location outdoors, not in covered structure.

This is what i was thinking: I should take most of the leaves and small branches and top of plnat off leaving behind the hard woody trunk and few of the lower branches, put a wire cage or other structure around the plant and fill it with leaves, mulch etc. Water the soil may be once every two weeks or so. This way even if the top of the tree dies, the roots will perhaps survive.

I am just thinking that the fully rooted plant will grow back in spring much better and faster than a new seedling or transplant.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting