SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mercerdn

landscaping an entire backyard of flagstone

mercerdn
18 years ago

Help! I plan to flagstone my entire backyard (with the help of a few friends) and have been researching the best way to go about it. The reason I choose flagstone is because I have two dogs who love their backyard... but also love to dig. Every spring my yard is one large, muddy mess!

I plan to lay the flagstone with enough spacing to allow for groundcover, but small enough so that those paws can't get between the flag. I have read various ways to lay a patio but have seen nothing on how to tackle an entire backyard.

I was thinking of tilling the soil a couple of inches, mixing it with some sand and tamping it down. Its sounds simplistic, but is this the way I would do the entire yard? Because I will not be creating just a patio, I have no idea how deep I should till or, once I start laying the flag, where should I start? Would it be better to start at the edge of my property (which is entirely fenced) or in the middle?

For further information... my yard is fairly level, has good drainage and is mostly shaded due to a large maple tree that is just to one side of the yard. The yard is fenced on three sides and the fourth is bordered by my house and a large wooden deck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (14)