SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsin_hawaii

solar calcuations of spacing (and tilt?) of Pergola rafters in HI

Wisconsin-Hawaii
9 years ago

Based on a 2007 discussion on this site (link 1, below) and a personal message with a (now-retired) solar designer who is active on this site, I'm posting to get advice on how close together to place rafters on a pergola to obtain 50% shade at noonish/early afternoon in Kihei Hawaii.

I * truly * thank in advance, anyone who answers, or who can point me in the direction of resources to get the answer myself.

Let me start by saying that I am * not * asking about the construction of the pergola (span/construction/setting the posts/etc.) I think that part is all under control. My question is really about how to get the maximum shade (solar design question).

Based on the 2007 discussion about rafter spacing, I believe these to be the pertinent facts:

1. The patio to be covered by the pergola sits pretty close to square on a NSEW grid.
2. There are 20' high banana "trees" due east, just at the edge of the area to be covered with the pergola. These block the AM sun at breakfast time, year around, so the pergola rafters don't have to.
3. There is a 10' high wall, 10' due west of the area to be covered with pergola, this blocks the later afternoon sun--for about an hour or two before sunset.
4. Because of items 2 and 3, the pergola really only has to block the hot sun of mid-day and early to mid-afternoon.
5.The patio to be covered by the pergola is 22'x10', long axis E-W, the pergola "frame" will ~18'x10'x8' high, as shown on the sketch by the heavy black box
6. Location: Kihei Hawaii-- just about lattitude 20 degrees N, pretty much very sunny all day, every day, all year long.
7. Based on a solar angle calculator I found on-line (link 2, below), on the summer solstice, the sun is basically overhead (~90 degrees) and on the winter solstice, about halfway down the horizon (~45 degrees).
8. I want to use 2x8s for the rafters (the parts that cast the shade), but am open to using another size if that gives a better result.

The social aspect is that after we drink coffee on the patio, we pretty much spend the AM elsewhere, returning to the patio around noon or afternoon, so, noon and afternoon shade is more important than morning shade, (plus, the banana trees cast enough AM shade as it is.)

I was thinking that instead of being installed straight up (which would make them pretty much useless at high noon and early afternoon) the rafters could be angled in such a way that they keep out that noonday/afternoon sun. Sketch #1 attempts to show all these factors. Note that the number of rafters is just random, because at this point, I have no idea how many are needed.

So---with all that in mind, the exact question is: How to space and angle the rafters to cast the most noonday and afternoon shade? Stated more succinctly, what should be the angle X and the distance Y on sketch #2, assuming a shade factor of somewhere around 50 percent at high noon on the summer solstice?

LINK 1: (old discussion of solar rafter spacing on this site) http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg060100401918.html

LINK 2: (Solar angle calcuator)
http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html

Comments (23)