SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Laundry Lines

Hi All, and Happy Earth Day!!! After our recent discussion of my laundry line, I thought I would share this:

Clothesline bans hung out to dry in eco-friendly move

Hanging laundry no more an eyesore

Lee Greenberg, The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Saturday, April 19, 2008

TORONTO - Ontarians can fully air their laundry, after the provincial Liberals lifted a patchwork of bans on outdoor clotheslines yesterday.

Premier Dalton McGuinty said the move was conceived as a matter of individual rights and collective responsibility for the environment. Electric clothes dryers are power-thirsty devices, using up about six per cent of electricity in the home -- about as much as a constantly running refrigerator.

"I guess it's a personal right in the sense that it's the right for people to hang out their clothes," Mr. McGuinty told reporters. "Then there's the greater public interest reflecting our shared desire to preserve our natural environment, which is now going to prevail over individual restrictive covenants that have been entered into in previous decades."

The move was cheered by environmentalists -- who described it as small, but important -- but slammed by developers. A spokesman for the homebuilding industry said developers object to revisiting decades-old contracts covering select subdivisions.

"This government doesn't have the right to overturn an agreement signed by two willing parties," said Victor Fiume, a spokesman for the Ontario Homebuilders' Association.

Mr. Fiume said the original bans were initiated by home buyers, who viewed outdoor clotheslines as a vestige of old-world living, a blight on their tidy suburban landscape.

But Keith Stewart, an analyst at the World Wildlife Federation-Canada, says a paradigm shift has occurred in the four or five decades since the original covenants were signed. Conservation is now the norm, he says.

"Ontario was gleefully promoting energy use through a program called "live better electrically," said Mr. Stewart. The idea was dryers were modern and clotheslines were old and should be done away with. Electricity was cheap and we didn't know or think about the environmental consequences. That's not true now."

The new regulations will apply only to homes with backyards and will not affect apartment buildings or condominiums with common outdoor spaces.

It's a movement that might spread!! Today, the Ontario Government also announced that they were going to ban 'cosmetic Chemicals' in the yards of the Province!!

Yea!!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County