SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theprairieprophet

Complete Backyard Revamp/Regrade, need help

10 years ago

Hi everyone, I've done some searching on the interwebs and found some help but nothing quite specific to my situation.

I have an older home (built in the 30's). I have a shallow basement (about 7 feet tall) under half my house and the region I live in is often referred to as "that Saskatchewan gumbo", regarding soil type. My foundation I guarantee is lower than it was 80 years ago, but I believe it has stopped settling over time. Problem is, it is quite low.

My house is on a corner lot, so I have the benefit of only having one neighbour. I have an alley behind me and streets on two other sides. I am also at the high end of my block, which ends at a drainage creek, ie there is a natural slope down my street to the end of the block, and I do have the advantage of being at the high end of that slope.

All this said, I currently have a water problem where a previous owner cut out a lower spot in the yard for a garden. This butts up against the neighbour's fence, and as such his yard is a good inch and a half to two inches higher at that point. Every time we get a heavy rain I end up with standing water for a good 24 hours in that section of yard.

The plan is to regrade my entire yard, because if I just add to the low spot, the water will most likely run back toward my settled foundation. I can't build up much more there because my foundation is so low, the ground almost comes up to the top of it as is. I need to find a way to grade away from my house but not flood out my neighbour, which unfortunately has me needing to work against gravity (neighbour is on the downslope side).

I have a long yard (roughly 80' from the corner of my house to my garage at the back alley) which means i'd have to drop quite a ways if I just sloped from front to back (house to back alley). The nearest drain is upslope out the front, which I would have to fight the natural slope to get water to.

I'm not sure what my best course of action is, i thought maybe I could run some drainage along the fence (say a 4 foot wide strip that's sloped down to the allley and covered in gravel), or perhaps I have to split my yard and run drainage against the slope out to the street (which would involve a lot more work).

I have a bobcat guy so the work isn't really a problem, it's the plan moreso. I will post another post with pictures as well.

Comments (12)