SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philly_sofi

irrigation in an empty lot

philly_sofi
16 years ago

Hello! So I've started a vegetable garden in an empty lot n my block. Things are going well, the neighbors are happy about it and my peas and greens are growing well. It's about time to plant tomatoes and peppers and zucchini. It's raining enough now that I don't need to water very much but come summer it's going to be a problem. There is no water source at the garden and my house is across the street and about half a block down. The house next to the lot is abandoned and has no downspout that I can see for a rain barrel. There is a fire hydrant on the corner but the Philadelphia Water Department is notoriously unhelpful. My thoughts so far are to set up alot of rainbarrels to try to catch as much falling rain as possible and to plant plastic milk jugs with pinpricks in them next to my plants to drip irrigate so I don't lose water to evaporation. Otherwise I guess I'll just be dragging over alot of heavy buckets... Any ideas? Suggestions? Have any of you used the milk jug trick? Do you like it? Thankyou.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner