SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
odellohio10

Neighbor's Fence - My planting options?

odellohio10
12 years ago

I hope this is in the right forum!

My neighbors and I have been involved in a property line dispute for the last few months. They wanted to put up a fence for their behaviorally challenged son, but the surveyor they hired said they owned our 100 year old limestone retaining wall PLUS 5 more feet into our yard. We had to file restraining orders and threaten to sue for adverse possession (because we've been taking care of said wall and 5 feet of lawn for 19 years). In the end, we settled for an easement (we live in a home my mother in law owns, I would not have settled for the easement). They tore down the wall and did a regrade last week, which looks awful and once they erect the privacy fence starting tomorrow, will leave us with a horrible slope towards the fence. I really wanted to plant something along this fence, but with the slope towards the fence, I'm not sure I can without adding more dirt.

I think even after the fence goes up, it'll still be mostly full sun. I am toying with the idea of putting spring flowering bulbs in a bed running along the fence about 15 feet. I read that putting summer flowering plants in the same bed is a bad idea, as the water they require would rot the bulbs. What types of summer flowering bulbs could I put in this area? I'd love to have spring/summer color and something that even if it's not blooming in fall, still have leaves that are interesting. Does such things exist? I would love to hear suggestions!

Thank you!

The fence is going to run right in front of the trees, up to the yellow "no trespassing" sign we have up.

{{gwi:41818}}

Another view of where the fence will go - you might be able to see where the ground drops off - the fence will end up being to the left of that approx. 2-3 feet in areas.

{{gwi:41819}}

Comments (16)