SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bshaw96_gw

Newbie/Lots of Basic Questions

bshaw96
16 years ago

We bought the house we are now living in about 2 years ago. We've been spending the last couple of years getting the interior like we like it, and now are ready to pay more attention to the outside. We just reseeded the lawn, and have now started to venture into the front area of the house. This is a mess! Along the front of the house are boxwoods and hostas. They are growing nicely, but this year, noticed they were being eaten by some sort of insect. There is no edging, and the beds were made of pine straw. Raked all that out this past weekend. Underneath, there were all sorts of insects, but the most prevalent appears to be some kind of beetle? (solid black) There were lots of those. And the previous owner had put down the black weed blockers, but it is ripped in several places. I'm not really sure where to begin. My eventual goal is to add some attractive edging and some color. But right now I just want to get the bed area healthy and ready for future plants. Obviously, we need to get rid of the insects first. Suggestions? After that, do we need to put down more of the weed blocker, or will a thick layer of mulch do the trick? Is there anything else we need to do? Not looking at adding new plants just yet, but would like to have it ready when the fall arrives. Thanks so much for answering my novice questions!

Comments (5)