SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rfbcville

Can you review basics for newbie?water, mulch, fertilizer, bugs

rfbcville
16 years ago

Recently planted my first veg garden 4 x 8 raised bed. I am excited to see seeds sprouting, terrified of bugs eating everything, worried that I am overwatering, and have brain overload from reading too many postings!

Can someone make it a bit more simple? Maybe a listing of possibilities and then I can search the forum for more details?

From what I have read, it seems like a good idea to put down some kind of watering device - hose, 2 liter water bottles etc then cover it all with 2-4 " of mulch. What kind of mulch and how close to plant stem can I put it?

I have tomato plants, spinich & lettuce, eggplant & squash, plus basil, marigold, nastursium as companion plants. Do these all have about same water needs?

What about fertilizer? I made the raised garden bed 9 months ago because of our heavy clay soil. So I don't know how nutrient rich it is - it's about 1/4 - 1/3rd clay, 1/3 or more good compost, 1/3 misc - some rotting leaves, soil ammendments like bone meal, epsoma, top soil etc. How much and how often?

As far as bug protection, I know there are a ton of opinions - lightweight fabric covers, organic sprays, commercial stuff like 29% daconil for tomatoes etc. Don't want to start WWIII on pros/cons of organic vs chemical, but maybe a short list of products of both?

Sorry for the long post, but I need some basic help to avoid obsessive compulsive brain disorder. AFter all, isn't gardening supposed to be fun :)?

Comments (8)