SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

sun exposure vs. shade

cateyanne
15 years ago

I am having trouble with the sun exposure requirements for some of my new plantings. I am making new or re-doing all the beds around the house.

One side of my house doesn't get sun until 2:00 p.m. From that point until sunset it is blazing hot. I always thought it was facing west, but I guess it's truly a NW location. Even though this is at this time of year, I am assuming it must change as the days get shorter. Which would mean less sun? I assumed because of the hours this location is in direct sun now, 8 hours, it would be considered a full sun location. Am I wrong? The first half of the day it is in shade, but I would never have considered this a shady area for plantings. I planted a wisteria here and am worried now I have miscalculated the amount of sun exposure I should provide this plant.

Opposite side of the house is in sun until 2:30/3:00 p.m. Earlier this season I have planted this side with shadier varieties like Hosta and Hydrangea, Everything there seems to be doing great. I would guess this to be a SW exposure.

I am really worried about the Wisteria, this was an expensive purchase and I want it to thrive.

Can anyone help?

Comments (7)