SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littledog_gw

Does this look like a good idea?

littledog
17 years ago

This is a mock up of what all the stuff I've planted will look like within a couple of years. It was easier to draw plants than clean off the porch and take pictures of the tiny little sticks that are there now...LOL http://www.mbo.net/garden/planted.jpg

In this picture, I labeled the plants, so you can get a better idea of what all those blobs are supposed to be. There's also some short groundcovers like labrador violets, sedum Acre, and day neutral strawberries. I know the strawberries can be aggressive runners, but my grandson likes to hunt berries when he visits, so I hope I can get away with just clipping them back a bit.

http://www.mbo.net/garden/planted.jpg

Some details; the house itself is a small, single story, 25 feet across the front. It's about 30, maybe 40 feet from the front gate, and the gate sits another 45 feet back from the road. It was pretty colorless when we bought it. http://www.mbo.net/garden/beforefront.jpg

As you can see, it was a blank slate.

There was no walkway directly from the gate to the house, as the former owner was in a wheelchair and would drive up to the left side of the porch and use a tiny ramp that had been removed. I'm working on laying a brick walkway from the front gate to the house. The birdbath and plantings are actually there, the embarassing brownish/reddish/pink thing drawn around the birdbath is supposed to represent the brick walkway. As people park in the "front yard" between the gate and the road, I'd like to give them a way to the house that is MOL wide enough to let two people walk side by side. On one hand, I like having the birdbath and round bed halfway from the gate to the porch, as it makes people slow down, but what do you think? Is it akward? Right now, the center bed with the birdbath is planted in herbs that hang out a little over the path and brush your legs as you walk by. (depending on whether you walk on the right or left hand side, you could get a whiff of basil and oregano, or mint) It's about 4 foot in diameter; does that sound like a decent size considering the walkway is a little over 3 feet wide around it?

The front beds are half moon shaped, five feet wide in the center, tapering to 2 and 1/2 feet wide at the sides. Will that be big enough to not look shrimpy, or should I go with something even deeper? The porch is about 8 feet deep, and is slightly shorter than the actual width of the house. This is the east view, and I think it needs a strong vertical element but I'm trying not to block the view from the windows. (We have no neighbors and some really lovely shadows and colors at sunrise) I was thinking about a not-too-rampant vine on the left corner of the actual house; possibly a blue clematis, or a dutchman's pipe just to soften that edge, or would having only one look odd?

What I'd like to do is have a colorful entry/view of the front of the house, without blocking the views out from inside of the house. Since I have 4, 5 and 6 foot wide beds started out in the yard surrounding the house, I'd just like this to draw your eye up the steps to the door as you walk in the gate. Assuming this is the approximate size of the plants when they mature, will this look pleasing and in proportion with the house, or will it end up being a silly little mish match without not enough impact? What does everyone suggest?

Comments (13)