SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lantanascape

Garden pics, melon and cauliflower questions...

lantanascape
14 years ago

Everything is going along nicely, and we seem to be home-free here as far as frost is concerned. A little later than the last few years, but that's OK.

I'm curious if anyone's had experience with Minnesota Midget or Jenny Lind melons. The Jenny Lind especially took a long time to germinate, then took a very long time to form true leaves. Both melons are teeny compared to the summer squash I started indoors at the same time. Is this normal? I'm not an avid melon grower, but I don't remember them being so slow and so small-leaved. I planted them out in the garden about 10 days ago, and they were under a Flower House for the added heat up through Friday.

Here is a photo of the Jenny Lind, followed by my summer squash for comparison (my Leatherman is in both photos for size reference):

{{gwi:47905}}

{{gwi:47906}}

On to cauliflower. I'm growing Cheddar cauliflower this year. I started it indoors under lights around the first of March, and planted it outdoors about 4 weeks ago. It has grown quite a bit while being in the garden, but while my broccoli has produced and threatened to flower, I am not seeing any sign of bud formation on the cauliflower. The Pinetree website says 58 days, but I'm guessing that's from transplant. I'm concerned that it will soon be too warm for the heads to form. How big are they generally when they start to form heads? I'm hoping they'll produce soon so I can pull them before the peppers get too big. Here is one of the plants, and the whole row.

{{gwi:47907}}

{{gwi:47908}}

Now for the fun stuff - my first tomato to set fruit (the only tom I didn't start from seed, a Bush Goliath) It's set at least 5 fruit this weekend:

{{gwi:47909}}

My red currant cherry tomato - has a few flower trusses but no fruit set yet:

{{gwi:47910}}

Some Japanese mixed greens I'm starting. Looks like mostly mustards, but I'm hoping there's some Pak Choi in there:

{{gwi:47911}}

Knight Peas - these have started producing and I picked a handful as snow peas today, though these are a shelling pea. First year trying shell peas, which I'm quite excited about:

{{gwi:47912}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional