SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

looking for fresh ideas (front stairs)

coeng
17 years ago

Thanks to all for helping me re-design my front lawn conifer/perennial bed.

Now onto my next project: The Front Stairs

See photos below. Blah is all I can say. I've lived with this since I bought my house in 2002. I can't stand what the front looks like.

Here's what I want to do (in order of priority) this Fall:

1) Replace red mulch with black mulch.

2) Plant bulbs on the right side in the open area (tulips, crocus, etc).

3) Remove the cypress from the right side and replace it with something else. The back of it is growing under the window ledge and every time I open the awning window from the inside I get some foliage caught in it when trying to close it. Takes forever to close the window. Just a major nuisance. It was planted too far back.

4) Remove the juniper that's sitting in the corner on the right hand side. Don't even know why its there.

5) Possibly remove and replace the Holly next to Cypress. It is growing out of control in all sorts of ways and its very inconvenient (ouch) when I have to work around it. But I may decided to keep it.

6) The Mugo Pine on the left. Its huge. Drops a lot of needles. Keep it? Get rid of it? I'm not crazy about it.

7) The Eunonymous growing next to the Mugo Pine. Always has a pile of dead leaves around it. Not crazy about it either.

If you were me, what would you remove/replace?

What would you replace it with?

Since I'm definitely taking the Cypress down, I need a shrub that will grow 4 feet max. What would work good here? Should I take the holly down too and make a hedge from 3 shrubs instead? I need something there because I need to cover up the basement window and A/C as you can see in the pic.

Thanks again all. You folks are a great help!!

{{gwi:40713}}

{{gwi:21299}}

{{gwi:40714}}

{{gwi:40716}}

{{gwi:21300}}

Comments (19)