SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcahalan_gw

Winter window box over vent?

tcahalan
15 years ago

Hi - we recently renovated our old bungalow and I added a window box outside my kitchen window over my sink. I love opening the window to snip some basil, and am starting to think ahead to this winter. The wall faces southwest so it gets no sun until about noon, and then gets very strong afternoon sun. To complicate matters, the A/C units sit underneath the box, but so far the basil, rosemary and lavendar in the box have loved the extra heat and wind. I'm wondering what I can put in it this winter. I won't have the heat from the A/C units, but I will have some exhaust from our furnace (also under this window box!). I know I can't have any tender herbs, although I'm going to leave the rosemary and lavender just to see if they make it. Any ideas other than pansies or ornamental kale? It's a PVC box if that makes any difference. I'd love to have a small boxwood or something for Christmas but don't know how it would do in a container (the window box is only about 9 - 10 inches deep and maybe 5-7 inches wide - but nearly 4 feet across. Thanks for any ideas!

Tina

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH