SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrgrinch_gw

My 3 Year Landscaping Project (lots of pics)

mrgrinch
16 years ago

This is a bit of a chronology of my 3-year landscaping project. I wanted to post it here in case it helps others get some ideas... plus I would welcome your feedback. Please let me know what you think!

The backyard faces southwest so it gets pretty hot by the middle and end of the day. Not so great in the dead of summer... but awesome in the winter up here in Canada becuase it provides for lots of sun.

I know I should have done most of the work all at once. But with the down payment on the house there's just no way I could afford it. So basically I did the lawn the first year (2004), deck the second year (2005), deck extension and hot tub the third year (2006), and patio and final landscape this year (2007).

When I first moved back in 2004 it was just me and the Canada Geese. They are nice to look at, but they sure poop a lot. They also hiss at you when they have their young. Fortunately they hang out down at the lake most of the time...

{{gwi:40527}}

Here is a picture of the rolled soil just before the sod was laid. We laid the sod on Canada Day - July 1, 2004. Had a sod party with all the buds over... that cost me a lot of beer...!

{{gwi:40528}}

This is a picture taken the next summer with the sod in place. You can see a lot of quack grass in the sod... it came that way from the sod company. I was not happy with them about it... but with fertilizer, water, longer mowing in the summer, sun, and TLC was able to choke it out.

{{gwi:40529}}

These next two pictures fast forward to 2006. You can see that both decks are completed along with the hot tub. Grass looks nice and green because I water I lots. But come the spring I pay for it because the lawn tends to get a lot of snow mould. Always the last lawn to green up... but once it's there its an awesome lawn.

{{gwi:40530}}

{{gwi:40531}}

Now this is the landcape plan that I wanted to share with you guys (picture only, sorry no scanner!). Maybe others can get some ideads from it. It was drawn up by a professional this past spring with some input from me. I've left it in higher-res so you can make out the names of the plants. I was told that the plants sizes shown in the plan are 5 years down the road. Please feel free to comment on any likes, dislikes, concerns, etc...

{{gwi:40532}}

These pics are now of the finished product. Here are the paper birches, dwarf lilacs, and blue chip junipers.

{{gwi:40533}}

This is the patio that I put in. I was originally concerned about the amount of lawn left afterwards... but since I back onto a bit of a park I figured I could afford to give up a little more lawn than usual. The patio has low-voltage lighting around the outside. You can also see the gold mound spireas, russian sage, and big bluestem. There is landscape fabric under the rock to prevent weeds.

{{gwi:40534}}

These are the swedish aspens that I planted between me and my neighbour. We both have deck 6' off the ground, and while they are a fair piece away they do not provide for much privacy. Hopefully the aspens grow tall to give us that privacy.

{{gwi:40535}}

This picture shows the spirea, blue chip junipers, and feather reed grass that I planted. You can also see the manchurian ash that I put in as well (my favourite tree in the whole world)! I excavated the flow beds down below the clay level... there's about 10" of topsoil in all of the flower beds.

{{gwi:40536}}

Another picture of the deck and patio. You can see the awning that I installed last summer. I referred to this in the awning thread that someone was asking about earlier.

{{gwi:40537}}

Another picture of paper birches. They still need to be staked. I don't like staking trees... but my back yard is VERY windy.

{{gwi:40538}}

The next two shots are from the patio (behind the privacy screen) that leads to a gate to access the front yard. The trees in this beds a Japanese Lilacs. Plants are bearded irises, day lilies, and bergenia. The bergenia unfortunately is NOT doing well. It's just too windy back there for those big floppy leaves. I think I may have to pull them next year and put something more robust in their place. Suggestions?

{{gwi:40540}}

{{gwi:40542}}

Another picture of the patio. You can see the other Japanese Lilac in the background.

{{gwi:40544}}

Hot tub with the privacy screen (so the neighbours don't have to see me in the tub!). Sometimes I pull out the LCD projector and put up a 9' movie screen. I can then watch movies in the hot tub outside when it gets dark.

{{gwi:40546}}

One last pic of the deck...

{{gwi:40548}}

And that's about it. I'm really hoping most of the trees, shrubs, and perennials take well. I'd like to get started on the basement next year and leave the lanscaping for a little while. It will be hard for me, though, becuase I love working outdoors... and work in a hospital all day long so enjoy the gardening. So that's basically it... sorry for the long post but it's been a long process! If anyone has any comments, opinions, or suggested improvements please let me know. Feel free to steal any ideas, too...!

Cheers

Comments (10)