SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugsmom192

mice droppings in my raised beds - heartbroken

ladybugsmom192
13 years ago

hey family!

ok,can you all please help me with this? i was in the process of getting my raised beds ready for planting, had turned/tilled fresh new wonderful organic compost into the existing soil (old compost from last year) on saturday,and my chicken manure came today so i was about to turn that into the soil when i saw what looked to be mice droppings. the more i looked, the more i saw, lots and lots, even large clumps (sorry!). i tried to scoop them up without digging them into the soil, but again, the more i looked, scooped, and picked - the more i realized that droppings were EVERYWHERE!! in ALL my beds (two 3x4ft beds, two wine barrel tops, and two 3x1ft window box style containers).

some were clearly fresh, but it seems as if they're all just on top,like in a layer, but when i picked at small section, it looked like they were all throughout the soil. then i began to wonder (panic) if they were there saturday when hubby tilled (he wouldn't have known to look/he can be oblivious at times - all he knew was that i needed the 'special dirt' tilled, lol!!)

so is what i'm thinking (starting over with fresh dirt) the inevitable? it doesn't matter whether it's 'safe' or not. the thought of growing my totally, lovingly, wholly organic veggies in soil that i know has/had tons of mouse poo in it, is NOT something i can tolerate.

i'm heartbroken. thanks for letting me share.

angela :)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County