SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleepy33

Cable fence- good/bad idea?

sleepy33
13 years ago

Hello. I posted a short while ago with questions regarding what to do with our new front yard and screening from the street/our neighbor's technicolor house. I've decided to remove the lawn in front and replace it with shady woodland plants. I was thinking that I wanted to do some type of a fence in the front yard to provide some structure. Here's a picture of the house:

{{gwi:38553}}

I had thought of doing sort of a living fence with planter boxes built in, but think that will be too overwhelming for the small yard, and only increase the shadiness. So now I'm considering a wood post fence with stainless steel cable railings. It would look something like this:

{{gwi:39811}}

Except that I don't want to run a board accross the top of the fence, just the cable. My idea is that this would provide structure for the yard/plantings, while remaining visually unobtrusive, allowing light and also allowing passerby to view the flowers/plants. Is this idea too out there? Love it? Hate it? Please weigh in. Also debating whether leaving the wood posts unpainted will clash with the white painted wood on the front of the house/porch. Thanks!

Comments (29)