SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors?

User
13 years ago

I'm going to tell you a tale, and ask if you have had an experience with neighbors, and if a fenceline made a difference.

I've finally had the fence guys arrive yesterday to put in the big 4x4 posts to continue the 7 foot privacy fence down the additional 25 feet of lot sidelines of the BACK FORTY.

That is my nickname for the 25 x 100 foot strip of land we bought last year from our neighbor lady, a widow, who lives behind us. This gives us a spot to garden more, and enjoy the shrubbery already there but sadly overgrown. It also protects us from future owners of that home if they should decide to dump old cars or trash right against the property line. Our current neighbor is the best I've ever known, and we are keeping a gate in the middle of the fence so we can visit back and forth.

They put in the wood posts yesterday. The cement is setting up today and over the weekend. Then Monday the chainlink crew will arrive to put in the 7 foot high commercial grade posts and wirechainlink that goes across the back. It will have heavier posts and top pipe, so it will stand up better to my star jasmine vines. That will be the lovely sweet smelling cover for a normally ugly fence, like they have all over the place in Italy growing everywhere.

Well, I opened the back door this morning to let the two dogs back inside. And I noticed that a man in an orange jumpsuit quickly crouched down near the posts on the north side. He totally disappeared, like he was just a figment of my imagination.

Thinking it might be the fence guys working on Saturday, I walked to the front windows and there was no vehicle at all, and the other two gates accessing the backyard were both closed. So I go back to look again, to determine if I was seeing things. I had to wait for a while, before the orange jumpsuit showed again, because he was still crouched down. At first I could not tell for sure who it was, since his head and face were obscured behind the tall azaleas of my new piece of land. The man was quickly walking along the property line, bending down and checking SOMETHING as he went, mostly at the spots where the posts were located, and he was only going along that 25 foot long strip of land that is now ours. So he, apparently, had some interest in this fence. The property back there, on the other side of the fence, is 300 feet deep and belongs to the niece of my dear neighbor who sold us this strip of land, and is in no way the property of the man in the orange jumpsuit.

Why-- HIS lot ends at the same point our old property line ended. This man lives next door to us, on our NORTH property line. And he is the one who goes up on his roof with the leaf blower (even with one leaf up there) any time we are out in the back yard working. He wants to see OVER our privacy fence and spy on what we are doing. It is this man who is the BIL to our former friend/contractor, who mysteriously stopped work on our home improvement projects several months ago now. No reason given.

The fence addition is something they had no idea we were undertaking, so I'm sure it came as a surprise to him when the posts appeared. In Mobile, no permit is required for a fence, as long as it is entirely on our property, and is a proper height. I do not know if he had a tape measure to see how tall those posts were, but since this fence is not near the front yard it can be up to 8 feet tall. Our wooden fence on the sides is solid infill for 6 feet, then a foot of treated wood lattice, and the posts will extend up to another foot to be no more than 8 feet total. Of course, they will not trim the posts until they are dressing things at the end of the job.

I've lived here since March 2006, and he's been a problem this whole time. Another neighbor found him snooping through our belongings in our derelict garage, while we were out of town. He allows no traffic on his grass, but he drove a trailer up our driveway and across our lawn to load heavy tree limbs when he had some tree work done. That is when I added my rose bed along that front property line. Heck, until we put in the fence we did not know our yard was as big as it is, because he was claiming up to six feet or more of this space. But his BIL, our contractor, discovered the front stake still in the ground far into the yard he was cutting, claiming right up to our circular driveway.

Now this matter of our fence is logically no business of his, because no piece of it fronts his property. The property that belongs to the niece is vacant, and has been so for more than 5 years to my knowledge. I wonder if we will have to buy that land, and put another fence across the back of it to keep him within bounds.

How to deal with this nosiness and sheer hostility toward us. Our cat disappeared. He reported my little hens and I had to get rid of them. He burned leaves in all kinds of weather, there is a NO BURN law in the city, but we did not report him. So he gave the burn barrel to another neighbor, and went over to that house to burn his leaves and trash. He told them it was because we would report him if he did it. Then they decided not to burn any more, another neighbor came to them and said it caused her breathing problems. So this next door neighbor got the burn barrel back and moved it up next to the vacant house behind him. Well, the smoke came billowing all through the neighborhood, and my little neighbor lady behind us did not realize where the smoke was coming from until I told her, and she got very upset. I asked her if by chance her niece was over there burning trash, and she was not. So the niece called this nosy man and told him to stop using her property. Her aunt was fearful of an untended trash fire getting out of control and burning down her wooden house. Now he will burn beside his shed late late at night when he thinks everyone is in bed and the smoke plume won't show. But you can smell it. I still have taken no action against the man He is a miserable human being who claims to be a great Christian. It is enough to turn you off of religion entirely.

Unless he causes harm to another of my animals, I will take no action against this poor pitiable excuse for a human being. I believe that he will reap what he sows, and his spirit will simply shrivel up and die. The rest of the neighbors are nice, so I feel that living next to this family is my cross to bear.

Sorry to rant, but I'm so glad we can add this fence to repel the unwanted prying of this particular neighbor.If he spies on us, he must brave the elements on a hot rooftop in an Alabama summer...not pleasant.

Does anyone else have a neighbor who does not respect the property or privacy of those around them? I know it could be worse, but he is a PITA. I remind myself that "living well is the best revenge."

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus