SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beans2112

Grading issue with new deck steps

beans2112
16 years ago

We recently had a contractor build steps off from our deck. The steps drop down to a hill. The height difference from the left of the steps to the right of the steps is about 14".

I had requested that the contractor dig in by 7" on one side and back-fill upwards by 7" of the opposite side. My though was that it would minimize the grading issue that we expected to have to do when the job was complete.

Instead, the contractor insisted he had to dig in the full 14" on the left and level off at the right side at the existing ground level.

Now we have a problem that I cant seem to figure out and I'm hoping someone here can offer some advice.

A picture of the project is here...

{{gwi:39576}}

My current plan is to rent a machine to dig out and flatten the area in front of the steps and perhaps add a bit of grade to keep water away from the base. Doing this in front of the steps isnt a big problem but on the side of the steps, I dont know what to do.

I've started digging out some of the dirt to see if it was even remotely feasible to do this by hand.

Any suggestions to make this an easier problem to resolve would be sincerely (very sincerely) appreciated.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:39576}}

Comment (1)