SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

Balconyless, Patioless, Windo Sill / Window Box Gardening.

Hello everyone. I have not posted much on here of late, but I figured I would try and get back into it. My old home forums used to be the Balcony Gardening forums, however I have not had a balcony for some time now.

I have been container gardening for over 10 years now. The main reasons for this, are that I have mostly lived in places with only balconies / patios.

This past June, I moved into a great little old brick garden apartment complex, Just 7 blocks from my old place in a great neighborhood. Old Town Alexandria, (Del Ray). I love the place, and the neighborhood, but unfortunately do not technically have an "outdoor" are that is my own. That said.... read on....

Currently, I live in a ground floor apartment, that faces south, west, and a small portion east. We are in the back of the building, and since we are on the ground floor, we have a small "yard" like area outside of all of our 10 windows that surrounds our apartment, and is enclosed by shrubs on all sides but one. Being that these buildings were built in 1935, we have oversized (large) window sill's both inside, and out. Perfect for window boxes, in and out. Next summer I may plant a few things in ground, but for now I have long rectangular containers under each window, and some pots / window boxes on the oversized windo sill's, and 1 very LARGE pot with flowers, and a 5' tall Bananna in it. I grow both regular standard flowers like Petunias, as well as herbs and some ornamental flowering plants. I have been known on here as the "vine guy", but this year I did not do any vines. Since I had a patio in my last place, I also had a small round folding black metal table, and 6 outdoor chairs.

We are technically "not allowed" to have such things "outside", however our property manager loves it, and so do the neighbors. I have "beautified" our little corner of the building, and it seems to go over well. We were told that we could keep our planters out there, but that the table and chairs need to be out of site from tuesday's at 9am until 5PM daily, until friday afternoon, then it can stay out for the weekend. Fortunately for us, we have a large juniper bush off in one corner, and its completely hollow under neath, and everything fits up under it perfectly, and is completely out of site.

We get sun, all day, every day, and it tends to get alittle more hot up against the building, so I am more inclined towards full sun/ heat tolerant plants this summer and next.

I have noticed that there are some in my complex that live on 2nd, and 3rd floors, who also use the large oversized window sills for gardening on. Really great to see! There are quite a few great, OLD 2 and 3 story brick garden style apartment complexes tucked away back in this neighborhood, and I have noticed that many in these types of places do the same things.

So I am just wondering what those of you here, who live in places that do not necessairly have outdoor spaces to call your own, do to get your gardening fix in?

Share it here!

Ill see if I can get a few pics posted somewhere in the next few days.

Cheers!

~ NPG

Comments (6)

• paulallen
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You can do a lot in small containers with lots of sun. In terms of vegetables: chard, kale, many herbs, (e.g., basil, thyme), cukes, zucchini, dwarf tomatoes, lettuce, Asian eggplant, etc. You can also grow strawberries. Enjoy.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, Next summer I might try some veggies again. Peppers have always been one of my favorites. Ill probably do strawberries as well.

I know theres alot more posters on GW's Forums, so lets hear some of what you guys do! C'mon... don't be shy! You know you want to post! =o)

Ill try and get some photos uploaded today.

• legacy
    16 years ago

There was an empty or an undeveloped lot next to the apartment I was renting in Boston decades ago (had my own balcony but mostly shaded and couldn't grow anything). I don't know what possessed or motivated me, but I decided to ask around and quickly got the contact information of the land owner of the lot from a neighbor. I asked and got the permission to start a land-based garden for free!

• legacy
    16 years ago

Hydroponics is another great option for maximum yield in small or no space and can be done indoors or out.

• valentinetbear
    16 years ago

You need to buy yourself a home-warming gift! The link below will teach you how much you can squish in for edibles AND beauty! You need to finish before it's seed sowing time, though! Happy new home and new garden!!! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: Create Container Gardens of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, and Edible Flowers

• hillbillygardener
    16 years ago

novaplantguy, over the years I have gone the gammit from your situation, to an acre and back again. Some ways that I have kept my fingers dirty are Hydroponics units and artificial light gardens. My hydroponic units (with artificial lighting) work great for fresh herbs and salad plants, while my light gardens grow anything from begonias to ferns to orchids. I have found or made light gardens to fit into any decore and every conceivable nook. Ever filled your house with the wonderful perfume of Hyacinths and Daffodils? It's easy to do and doesn't require any garden at all. Feel free to contact me for more ideas and information.