SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendraschmidt_gw

Removing a Tree Stump with HIgh-Nitrogen Fertilizer?

KendraSchmidt
11 years ago

There are a few tree stumps that I would like to kill and remove. I would like to know how to remove the tree stump using high-nitrogen fertilizer?

I've seen on a few sites that this is possible, but I don't even know what high-nitrogen fertilizer options would be. I've read that cow manure would be one example, but I'm not sure?

I really want to use the fertilizer option, but can anyone here instruct me on how this works? Also, how long does this take, on average to finally kill and rot the tree so that it can be removed from the ground? Or does it simply turn to ash? (I know this depends on the size of the tree and probably the circumference too; it's a fairly average tree, nothing like an oak or anything.)

For the record, I don't want to use Roundup in or around my home, so that's not an option. Grinding the tree is not an option either, nor is hiring someone to do it. I also cannot purchase salpeter (Potassium Nitrate, I think) in my area, because it is now forbidden for whatever reasons. And I definitely have no intention of using oil/petrol or dynamite to remove the stump! Oh, and the product they sell in stores that you put on the stump (I think it's made with saltpeter or is simply saltpeter, not sure), is not at all available here.

And last, I don't want to compost on top of the stump or put grass on top of the stump. I've spent some time looking into options, and the fertilizer option seems to be the best.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County