SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natureboy8888

Drainage in garden bed and seepage in basement

15 years ago

I have seepage problems in the basement in the front of my house, and would really appreciate some guidance to correct or minimize this when I am converting my front yard to a garden.

Details: I am going to convert my front lawn to a potager garden, a more symmetrical and formal garden of vegetables and ornamentals. This will involve putting in several beds (level with the path) and paths (either gravel or pavers) all running parallel to the face of my house. My front lawn slopes about 3.5% from house to sidewalk over 20 feet(a rise of about 15 inches). Currently, the lawn near the house does not slope until about 6 feet out, which can't help the current situation. The seepage is fairly minimal and interior wall patching has stopped any seepage for the past 4 years. During our wet winters though, the wall is a bit moist and trickled in one spot before patching.

Plan: I would like to have a constant slope for the entire width of the garden. Nearest the house, I'll have a 2 foot wide bed, then a 2 foot wide path, than a 4 foot wide bed, and so on to the sidewalk.

So, what do you all think? I'm concerned the alternating beds and paths may trap water near the home. I'm also a little concerned about having beds sloped, although I doubt such a mild slope would cause any real problems.

Comments (8)