SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
durhamgardener1310

Drainage problem in rental house

durhamgardener1310
15 years ago

Hi,

There may be no easy solution to this question but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has any ideas. We live in a rental house, early 1900s, no gutters. This is the first problem.

On top of the run off from the roof, water from the basement is pumped out at one point along the same area that the roof water falls. This is the second problem.

This water pools some but mostly flows down toward the backyard, combines with the neighbors' basement and roof water, and then, as of late, pools in a low, flat patch of hard clay in between garden beds we have put in over the last several years.

Without the garden beds, for the most part the backyard has a gradually increasing downward slope toward a drainage creek. The raised garden beds seem to have messed with the flow of water and overtime created a stretch of land that is lower than the rest of the yard and in which water pools.

Since its a rental place, we don't want to pay a lot of money for any changes (or do anything major when it is not our house!) But I was trying to think of some relatively simple way to collect some of this roof/basement water to keep it from overloading the backyard and flooding the soon to be planted garden. (I was envisioning collection bins that could be emptied on a regular basis? - aesthetics are not that important in this neighborhood:)

I was also thinking about trying to build up the low spot by working in some compost - its not that big. And maybe this would help drainage and keep the water flowing down to the creek again? Any thoughts? Thanks very much for your time!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor