SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blue_ivy_gw

What would you do with sixty acres?

blue_ivy
15 years ago

Hi all,

What would you do if you just rented a little cottage-type house on sixty acres, and your landlord said you could only garden on a less-than-half acre plot (which of course I already have extensive plans for filling)?

Another way to ask this question is: do you have any advice on how to be a sneaky gardener?

I am so thrilled about my new surroundings. I walk/ run (jump, tumble, throw leaves) around the property like a kid in a candy store. There's a decent sized field area, (most of which I am to leave alone) and then most of the rest of the property is woods, including a semi-path that cuts back into the woods, down to some stream. Sounds glorious, doesn't it? Central Indiana has never been my top-choice as far as location; it is a bit cold for a mostly southern girl like me, but this property is idyllic.

So, back to the topic, what can I do to add a little color here and there that will not be too obtrusive? Especially back in the woods? Do you think it might be bad if I introduce a few new species to the ecosystem? Should I leave it alone? Or are there a few annuals or easily adaptable perennials that would not hurt a woodsy setting? Herbs, vines, I don't know.

Any comments/ advice would be appreciated, including any along cautionary lines, but of course I am hoping someone has found some great "invisible" plants for a woodsy setting.

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County