SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ppod1999

Chipmonks a plague no more

P POD
14 years ago

.....knock on wood!

I've finally found a solution to our chipmunk plague.

I make an attractant from skin, bones, juices, oils, and fats of canned fish, the parts that don't get used in food preparations and used to be discarded.

Sometimes I dilute the attractant with water (if it's very strong-smelling) and pour a bit into as many chipmunk holes as possible. A little pour is enough, it's the smell that counts. You want to attract weasels but don't want to feed coons and possums.

After a few days, the chipmunks disappear. I assume they get either eaten by weasels, or they flee the fishy smell. Slowly the chipmunks reappear, so it is an on-going project.

Whenever I find new chipmunk holes/tunnels, I mark them with a stick topped with a tennis ball, lest I forget where they are, when a fresh batch of attractant is on hand.

Discarded parts of fresh fish puréed w/water in a food-processor or blender, I'm sure, would work as well.

The fish I use is food safe; it's not old or decayed!

Apparently long-tailed weasels are indigenous to all of North America (see link), and they seem to live in the woods surrounding our land (though I've seen them only twice in some two dozen years).

If the remedy works for you too, kindly post your experiences.

Long-Tailed Weasel

Least Weasel

Stoat

Comments (3)