SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
konopka727

This is how I did it.

konopka727
14 years ago

First off I have to say thank you to you all cause if it weren't for your knowledge I don't know if I would have been anywhere near as successful growing veggies from seed for the first time this year!

I started out with tomato, eggplant, and pepper seeds on February 29th. I used peat pellets, and placed 3 seeds in each pellet. I placed them on top of my uromastyx cage which has an ambient temperature of 95-100 degrees... He likes it hot! Anywho which helped everything germinate really quick and successfully. After about half or so had germinated I placed them under a 4' shop light that had 2 plant grow lights in it. I attached sheets of aluminum foil down the sides of it with magnets so that the light reflected onto the plants. I kept it 3" above the plants and adjusted as they grew.

After about 3 to 4 weeks *when I started to see roots through the pellets* I potted them up. I used plastic cups and drilled 3 holes in the bottom of them. I filled them with Miracle Grow Organic potting mix and filled the cups up to just below the first leaves on the seedlings. I didn't water them until about a week later because the soil was moist. I didn't water them until the tops of the soil started to dry out.

At about 6 weeks I started to harden them off. I wasn't very good with this process at all... well not in respect to how it's said to be done. I placed them outside in a spot where they got shade all day long. Was too lazy to bring them inside saw they did fine and left them there. After about a week I moved them to a spot that only got sun in the morning.

A couple days later I potted them up into 7 gallon nursery pots. I used Lamberts organic potting soil. It's the most ya get for your buck that they have at Home Depot accept for the HD earthgrow brand. I mixed in two shovel fulls of mushroom compost and some bonemeal. I watered the mix until it was moist after I mixed it all together. I pulled off the lowest set of leaves and planted them to the top *tomatoes that is* Everything else I planted to the first set of leaves. I let them be for a week, watering when the top got dry. The second week I used a 15-30-15 fertilizer. Not Miracle grows bloom booster, but one just like it that they have at walmart for a little under 4 dollars.

So that's my story. I'm not saying everything I did is right or by the book, but it worked for me. I know I like to see how other people did stuff so that I can have a sense of what I should be doing. So what did you guys do that worked for you?

These are my veggies as of 4/23/2010

{{gwi:45215}}

Big Boy Hybrid

{{gwi:45216}}

Black Beauty Eggplant

{{gwi:45217}}

Carnival Pepper

{{gwi:45218}}

Jalapeno Pepper

{{gwi:45219}}

Comments (7)